« Home | A Conversation With Katherine Warwick... Dancing ... » | A Conversation With... Marty Kindall » | A Conversation With... Stacy Dawn » | Conversation with Amanda Brice » | A Conversation With... Crystal Jordan » | Coming this Friday... our first conversation with... »

Conversation With... Sela Carsen

Conversation With… Sela Carsen

Bebe: Hi, Sela. Welcome. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Sela: Hmm. Not much to tell, really. I’m a mom, a wife, a writer. I’m a big dog person, but we’re sadly between dogs at the moment. I’m a dreadful housekeeper. A bit of an extrovert, but I like my Hermit Cave, too.

Bebe: You sound like a busy lady. How do you work writing into your daily routine?

Sela: The routine changes from year to year, depending on what else is happening. During the summer, it was chaotic and I hardly had a chance to write. Now that the kidlets (aka the Monkey Children) are back in school, I usually get the computer to myself until about 11am or noon, then I turn it over to my husband for the afternoon. After dinner, I can have it back. So far, that’s working. I’ve been able to get a fair bit done.

Bebe: Besides author, mom, and wife to the nearly perfect husband, what is your dream job?

Sela: I always wanted to see my name in lights on Broadway. Not gonna happen, but it was a lovely dream.

Bebe: Your novella, Not Quite Dead, is now available with Samhain. Tell us a bit about the story.

Sela: Who knew hanging out in a cemetery could land you the man of your dreams? Certainly not Sabine Harper, who expected to end the night curled up in front of the television with some ice cream. Instead, her kooky wannabe-witch cousin actually manages to raise the dead. Add a vampire and the night gets extra interesting.

Willem Breaux only has three days to avenge his murder, and he’s after the vampire who turned his fiancee into a literal backstabber. But those three days with Sabine, who bears an uncanny resemblance his deadly ex, are filled with an unexpected attraction that turns to love.

I’ve been fortunate to get some really great reviews of the story, which you can find at Once Upon A Romance http://www.onceuponaromance.net/NotQuiteDeadReview.htm, Sensual Reads and Reviews http://sensualreads.net/wp_sr_reviews/?p=120, and Two Lips Reviews http://www.twolipsreviews.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=127&Itemid=36. I also have another review coming out September 25 at Romance Reviews Today. http://www.romrevtoday.com/

Bebe: I loved Not Quite Dead! What are you working on now?

Sela: I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It’s been out for nearly a month and I’m just now getting over the shock of realizing that people are actually reading my story!

Right now, I’m working on a semi-fantasy somewhat erotic romance (I’ve never written this hot before!) and a re-told Norwegian fairy tale. We’ll see what gets finished first.

Bebe: As part of an Air Force family, you’ve traveled all over the world. Which assignment was your favorite? Would you consider moving back there?

Sela: I’d move back to England faster than you could say “Bob’s your uncle!” I loved it there. We lived in the most wonderful village and it was just a great experience. England is gorgeous and I’d love to see even more of it.

Bebe: You’ve won a month long, all expenses paid trip for two. Where will you go? And who is tagging along?

Sela: Italy. North, south and everything in between. I want to learn the language and take some cooking lessons. Strangely enough, I might see if Stephen Frye was available. I know he’s gay, but he seems like he’d enjoy it. And he’d be such an interesting person to talk to. He seems very easy to get along with.

Bebe: Tell me something about you that will surprise me.

Sela: I can’t drive a stick shift, but I have a secret yen to drive a race car. I wanna go reeeeeally fast.

Bebe: What do you do to kick back and relax? Any favorite hobbies?

Sela: Reading. And watching movies. I’m a sucker for old musicals. I like to sing. Oh dear. I’m quite dull.

Bebe: You’re not dull! So, who are your favorite authors?

Sela: C.S. Lewis and Harper Lee. I love Robin McKinley and once I read one story of hers, I usually end up on a re-reading glut of all of them. Anne McCaffrey, Rudyard Kipling, George Bernard Shaw. I like Dorothy Parker, but only in small doses, otherwise she’s too bitter.

In romance, they’re too numerous to mention. In no particular order, and there’s no way I could name them all, I like Nora Roberts, Christina Dodd, MaryJanice Davidson, Marjorie Liu, JR Ward, Elizabeth Vaughn, Julie Cohen, Theresa Medeiros, Laura Kinsale, Lynn Viehl, Linnea Sinclair, Robin Owens, Sasha White. There are so many fantastic writers out there.

Bebe: Speaking of fantastic writers, what’s next from Sela Carsen?

Sela: Who knows? I’m flighty. I’ll work on something until I hit a wall or I lose interest, then I switch gears. Unfortunately, that’s not a good way to build a career. Must focus. Need more coffee.

Bebe: Rumor has it, you are an excellent cook. What are you making for dinner tonight? Is this a new recipe or an old standard?

Sela: Tonight? I have no idea. Last night was Chicken Florentine. A blend of an old recipe and a new technique I just learned. You’d be amazed at the things I can’t cook. I can make a perfect pan sauce, but I can’t make a meatloaf. I can make baklava, but I can’t make Rice Krispie Treats. And for years, I’ve had the hardest time cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They always ended up tough and gummy. Yuck. But I think I may have finally figured it out and it was so easy I had to smack myself on the head. They have to be a uniform thickness. Whether you pound them flat or cut them in half horizontally (very dangerous – use a sharp knife and watch what you’re doing), it makes the whole thing easier.

Maybe I’ll go grocery shopping today. I’m in the mood for soup. I wonder what the butternut squash looks like now. Hmmm……

Bebe: Sounds yummy! I love soup. But, it’s Friday. And on Friday’s I’m in the mood for Chinese. Where can I find the perfect egg roll?

Sela: Zab E Lee’s in Atlanta, near the aiport. It’s this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant in a run-down strip mall and it’s some of the best Thai food I’ve ever had. It even has a prime Zagat rating! Family operation and you wouldn’t believe the food. Or the price. A family of 4 ate there – and had leftovers – for under $25. But the eggrolls were amazing. Crisp on the outside, tender and flavorful on the inside. Most Asian restaurants get the outside all right, but the fillings are mushy and doughy and bland. Not these. Absolutely perfect.

There’s also a great Thai place with wonderful egg rolls in King’s Lynn, Norfolk, England. But that’s tougher to get to from here. *gg*

Visit Sela at www.selacarsen.com

Delightful interview, Sela!!

Bebe, thanks for bringing her to us.

Post a Comment