« Home | A Conversation With... Stacy Dawn » | Conversation with Amanda Brice » | A Conversation With... Crystal Jordan » | Coming this Friday... our first conversation with... »

A Conversation With... Marty Kindall

This week, I'm chatting with Wild Rose Press author, Marty Kindall.

Bebe: Hi Marty. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Marty: I was born and raised in Ohio, and spent my college years in Michigan and Arkansas. I’m a college administrator and history teacher in a super-creative environment. To work with creative people has really been encouraging to me as a writer.

Bebe: How do you work writing in to your routine?

Marty: I have a fairly regimented weekday schedule--a definite start/end time to work. But with teaching, you also have preparation for class, grading, reviewing future materials. All of that takes time, too. I discovered the reward system works best for me--when I get done with everything on the “must do” list, then I’m free to write. I can usually string a couple hours together each evening and more on weekends.

Bebe: You have an e-book out with Wild Rose Press. Tell us about the story.

Marty: My book, The Knot was released earlier this month, but The Wild Rose Press officially launches on Sunday, September 10 (check my blog for details). The Knot is ultimately a story about redemption and the power of love. I didn’t intend for it to be a mystery/suspense story--that’s not my main gig--but it took that twist and I went with it. Here’s the official blurb:

“When Ben Sheridan is released from prison in 1936, he returns to his hometown in the Blue Ridge Mountains with only one goal--to lead a simple life. Although he's paid his debt to society, he's never forgiven himself for the unthinkable act that forced him to take the life of his step-brother over a decade before. Small-town storekeeper Heather O'Malley has never played the victim, but to most she's still that "scarred" young woman, the past prey of a madman. Unconventional and independent, she seizes the opportunity to help Ben restart his life, in part to atone for her silence about the events that sent her rescuer to prison. Ben can't resist Heather's free-spirited approach to life, and she can't resist his reluctant charm. Neither intends to fall in love, but when dangers from their past threaten their fragile connection and another young girl turns up missing, they discover just how knotted together their lives are--and how fiercely they're willing to fight for each other and their future.”

Bebe: I love vintage romances! Are you planning a sequel to The Knot?

Marty: I am in love with this era, and I hope that as the Greatest Generation passes on, the hunger for their stories will grow. I’m not planning a sequel in the strictest sense, but I’m definitely doing more stories in this era, and have in mind to show the development of the town, kind of like a character, so there will be some character overlap within the following stories. All sorts of interesting things happen in small towns, you know.

Bebe: According to your author profile at The Wild Rose Press, you are originally from Ohio, but you now consider North Carolina your home. Did you experience culture shock moving from the north to the south?

Marty: Charlotte is a wonderful city--and anyone will tell you it’s a city full of Yankees. It’s hard to find a native. I think the pace of life was the biggest difference for me--everything really is a little more laid back, a little less urgent. I think the culture shock was bigger when I moved to Arkansas to attend college, so I’d experienced the south before. I see myself staying in the south, mostly because I’ve become a big wuss about cold weather.

Bebe: Do you cook? What is your signature dish?

Marty: I do cook--and as a single gal, I get to experiment as much as I want. I like soups, and if I had a signature dish, is would probably be my White Chili. But I like to bake more than cook--everything from bread and bagels to cookies. I have this recipe for Snickerdoodles that uses a cake mix that I love. My criteria for the kitchen: must be easy and yummy.

Bebe: Besides author/history professor, what is your dream job?

Marty: When I was little, I always wanted to be a firefighter or police officer. Although I really love working in education, I might make a pretty good cop.

Bebe: Do you participate in any sports? Any hobbies?

Marty: I played college basketball, so I occasionally still do that. As for hobbies, I’m a self-confessed media-whore. I love movies and music and television. Last year, I bought a townhouse, so I have several decorating projects lined up as well.

Bebe: Who are your favorite authors?

Marty: I don’t read as much as I used to, which seems to be an unfortunate byproduct of writing. I like Sherrilyn Kenyon, Christine Feehan, Gena Showalter...I read a lot of paranormal. Other favorites are Anne Rice, John Jakes, James Clavell and Jeff Shaara--historical fiction.

Bebe: You have been given a time machine. Do you go forward or back in time? Where do you go first?

Marty: I always go backward. I’ve sometimes felt I was born into the wrong era, or I had a past life I couldn’t let go of. These days, I’d beam myself back to the Roaring ‘20’s and have a good time!

Bebe: What’s next from Marty Kindall?

Marty: I just keep doing what I do...I’ve learned the hard way that not every move has to be mapped out. I’ve taken some interesting detours and wouldn’t want to take myself so seriously that I miss out on something fun.

Bebe: One last question… where can I find the perfect egg roll?

Marty: There’s a fantastic place in Charlotte, the Panda Den, over by the university. EVERYTHING on the menu is perfect!

For more information on Marty, visit her website at www.martykindall.com

Bebe you've done a great interview here. You've made Marty real to everyone which is a wonderful thing. Love the questions!!!! Marty WTG!

What a lovely interview, Bebe. Thanks, Marty, for sharing!

Thank you Bebe, for interviewing one of my newest fave authors. Marty you are a pro at answering interviewers questions. Thanks for sharing!

Great interview. Thanks to Bebe and Marty!

Post a Comment