« Home | A Conversation With... Marty Kindall » | A Conversation With... Stacy Dawn » | Conversation with Amanda Brice » | A Conversation With... Crystal Jordan » | Coming this Friday... our first conversation with... »

A Conversation With Katherine Warwick... Dancing with the Stars Special Edition

Conversation with… Katherine Warwick.

Bebe: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Katherine: I’m a California girl-Utah-transplant. It’s taken me about ten years to adjust to the move. (LOL) But now I love it here. And it’s a been a great place to raise our six children, ages 21-9.

Bebe: Besides author, what is your dream job?
Katherine: I’ve actually HAD my other dream job: doing makeup. I love painting faces, showing women how gorgeous they can look with a little blush and mascara.

Bebe: Your Ballroom Dance Novels have been very well received by the dance community. Tell us about the stories.
Katherine: I’ve written four in the ballroom series: NOON, WILDE, SAVAGE and DANCING WITH HIS HEART. Noon, is about a troubled skater (teenaged boy) who’s recruited off the street to be the partner of a champion ballroom dance competitor (teenaged girl). At first they can’t stand each other, but the rigors of practicing and competing brings them closer. Noon follows their relationship through devious competitors bent on destroying them, through a separation and on into adulthood when they find themselves competing against each other.

Dancing With His Heart is actually the last of the dance series. It follows the lives of Lauren, a competitive dancer and teacher, and her nemesis, Alex. He “buys” her, by offering her and her partner a carte blanche sponsorship ( a ballroom dancer’s dream ), and she can’t refuse. Then he proceeds to try and win her heart, but she’s not easily convinced. Originally, I wrote DWHH to fit into Silhouette’s guidelines. When they weren’t interested, I had a shorter, sassier read on my hands, so I placed it at the end of the three ST’s in the dance series.

Bebe: How did you come up with idea of using dance as a central theme?
Katherine: The dance floor is such a natural place for romance. And there was nothing out there with dance as a thread, so I made it my niche. Are you a dancer yourself? Not professionally. But dance comes easily to me.

Bebe: Season 3 of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars premieres tonight. Are you a fan of the show? Why or why not?
Katherine: Love it! Ashly was my kids’ dance teacher! She’s such a sweetie, and was nice enough to read for me and give me her endorsement. But more than that, I love the passion and sizzle. It’s just so exciting! And really good pros like Ashly and Louis and the others on the show, are absolutely poetic when they move!

Bebe: I’m a big fan of country star Sara Evans, so I’m hoping she does well. Is there a dance team you are rooting for already?
Katherine: Well, Ashly of course. But may the best win! Last year, it was so cool watching how hard the stars worked and how far they came. Whoever earns it, deserves it in my book!

Bebe: You are also a Young Adult author. What project are you working on now?
Katherine: I’m just getting ready to release MAGIC HANDS, a hilarious story about a jock that gets a job in a nail salon. I love writing YA because my teenagers can point me in the right direction when I’m veering off. My current project is: FALLING FOR ROMEO, which follows MAGIC HANDS.

Bebe: What do you do to kick back and relax?
Katherine: Read. Write. Go to the movies.

Bebe: Who are your favorite authors?
Katherine: For romance, Nora Roberts and Penn Williamson. For YA, Markus Zusak and Celia Rees
Bebe: Where can I find the perfect egg roll?
Katherine: Not in the freezer section! ( If you find one there, share it with me, will ya??) In Utah: The Great China restaurant.

Visit Katherine at her websites www.katherinewarwick.com and www.ballroomdancenovels.com